6 Tips to Prolong the Lifespan of Your Pallet Trucks
Preventive maintenance of pallet trucks is vital for a safe working environment. Follow our simple 6 step guide and ensure your pallet trucks remain in top condition and operate within the law.
1. Check and top up the oil in your pallet trucks.
The oil level of pallet trucks is best checked every six months and oil must be topped up or replaced annually. It is recommended to always use hydraulic oil for pallet trucks.
The oil must have a viscosity of 30cSt at 40 °C, with a total volume of approx. 0,4 litres (ISO VG32). If other oil is used, the pallet truck may be hard to pump up, as this oil will most likely be too thick.
Follow the below step-by-step plan to top up the oil of your pallet trucks:
- Place the forks in the lowest position and turn the pallet truck on its side.
- Place the drain plug of the hydraulic cylinder at the top.
- Remove the screw plug.
- Add the hydraulic oil, until the level of the oil reaches the bottom of the filler opening.
- Install the screw plug and place the device upright.
2. Lubricate pallet trucks regularly
All bearings and axles are usually lubricated by the manufacturer with long-life grease. Lubricate the pallet trucks on a monthly basis and/or after each cleaning with long-life grease on the lubrication points, such as the wheels, axles and grease fittings.
3. Protect the wheels of your pallet trucks
Ensure your working environment is clean and free of debris to avoid unwanted dirt being collected and stuck between the wheels. Ensure regularly cleaning of the wheels and remove all dirt before use
4. Check the chains regularly for a correct position
Check if the chains of your pallet trucks are in the correct position. If when operating the lowering valve no longer lowers the forks simply re-attach the chain to the lever.
5. Adjust the lowering valve if the pallet truck can no longer pump or lower Its forks
Adjust the lowering valve, so that you can pump or lower the forks. If pumping has no effect, slightly loosen the lowering valve screw.
Do the forks of the pallet truck no longer descend? Slightly screw in the lowering valve screw.
6. Use your pallet trucks in a correct and safe manner
With these 3 tips, your pallet trucks will last longer:
- Don't use pallet trucks on a slope: if let go, the pallet truck can reverse and hit something.
- Move pallet trucks with the operating lever in the DRIVE position, the drawbar moves more easily and the pressure in the hydraulic pump section lowers. This protects the hydraulic seals and the components of the valve and ensures a longer lifespan.
- Never overload pallet trucks: Always observe the maximum rated lifting capacity.
However, all pallet trucks eventually need parts replaced and here at Pallet Truck Parts we have the UK’s largest stock of pallet truck parts available to order online with quick delivery assured.